inma-lesielle-746452-unsplash

Chocolate is toxic danger to your pets

FCVC vets know that danger can pop up at any time for our pets and not just from an injury. Each season brings its own kind of dangers. From holiday candy and foods that can be lethal, to flu, allergies, pesticide use, school project glues and more!
As part of this weeks emphasis on Animal Welfare. here are a few concerns for our pets as we enter the fall season:

Holidays:

Keep Halloween candy and Thanksgiving foods out of their reach.  Chocolate, of course, is a no-no.  Unfamiliar faces and loud laughter can stress your pet.  Give cats access to a quiet room.  Give your dog a chew toy or put them in a separate room.

Dogs get the flu, too.

Canine flu and bordetella (two sources of kennel cough) are airborne diseases.  If you see a dog coughing, keep your own dog away.  If your dog develops a cough or fever, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Pests:

As the weather turns cooler, rats and mice may find their way to your warm house.  Keep them out by closing entry holes and use anti-rodent products that are nontoxic.  Rodenticides are extremely toxic to dogs and cats.

Types of Rodenticides
Most of the rodenticides used today are anticoagulant compounds that interfere with blood clotting and cause death from excessive bleeding. Deaths typically occur between four days and two weeks after rodents begin to feed on the bait. First-generation anticoagulants include the anticoagulants that were developed as rodenticides before 1970. These compounds are much more toxic when feeding occurs on several successive days rather than on one day only. Chlorpophacinone, diphacinone and warfarin are first-generation anticoagulants that are registered to control rats and mice in the United States.

Second-generation anticoagulants were developed beginning in the 1970s to control rodents that are resistant to first-generation anticoagulants. Second-generation anticoagulants also are more likely than first-generation anticoagulants to be able to kill after a single night’s feeding. These compounds kill over a similar course of time but tend to remain in animal tissues longer than do first-generation ones. These properties mean that second-generation products pose greater risks to nontarget species that might feed on bait only once or that might feed upon animals that have eaten the bait. Due to these risks, second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides no longer are registered for use in products geared toward consumers and are registered only for the commercial pest control and structural pest control markets. Second-generation anticoagulants registered in the United States include brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difenacoum, and difethialone.

Other rodenticides that currently are registered to control mice include bromethalin, cholecalciferol and zinc phosphide. These compounds are not anticoagulants. Each is toxic in other ways.

School supplies:

Keep pencils, markers, and glue sticks out of your pets’ reach.  These products can cause gastrointestinal upset or blockages if ingested.  Cats may choose to bite the edges of notebooks and paper.

Snakes:

As snakes prepare to hibernate, they may get irritated if disturbed by your curious pet.  Know which snakes are venomous and where they usually hibernate.  Walk your pet on a leash away from these areas.  If your pet does get bitten, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Allergies:

Fall weather can bring about a whole new set of allergies.  Ragweed and mold are two big aggravates, along with grass and dust.  Look for signs like scratching, biting, chewing, sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, and hives and rashes.

Mushrooms:

You may love them, but many mushrooms are toxic to pets. Recently, two dogs died after consuming Amanita mushrooms (also called Death Caps) growing in their back yard. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can range from mild vomiting and diarrhea to severe digestive problems to complete liver failure.

Car coolants:

Antifreeze is highly toxic to pets.  It’s a great time to change or add fluid to the radiator, but be careful that your pet doesn’t contact it.  Clean up any spills immediately and keep coolant out of reach from your pet.

FCVC hopes you will keep an eagle eye out for things that can be toxic to your pets. We know how easy it is for pets to get into mischief – they like to sniff, chew and tear up things. Give them those things which are harmless – and that they cannot choke on. Your pets are pretty resilient – but your awareness of what is going on with them (like strange things growing in the yard) will keep them safest.

Related articles you may be interested in – 9 Dangerous Human Foods for Cats and Animal Safety and Protection Tips For Your Pets

Attribution – Video –  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuWHL8eSug
Photo – inma-lesielle-746452-unsplash