We did not want to leave out our canine pet friends from the fun fact fest. So we have this list of dog facts for you today:
Did You Know…
- A dog’s nose print is as unique as a human fingerprint.
- Basenji dogs don’t bark. They yodel.
- Dogs do see color, just not as many colors as humans.
- “Max” and “Bella” were the most popular dog names in 2013.
- A dog’s nails grow continuously, just like human fingernails.
- A group of pugs is called a “grumble.”
- An estimated 70 million dogs live in 40 million households in the U.S.
- The first guide dogs were trained for war-blinded soldiers after WWI.
- Prairie dogs are not dogs at all. They are members of the squirrel family.
- Dogs have 18 different muscles for controlling their ears.
- Dogs can “catch yawns” from humans, and vise versa.
- The first guide dog training school in the US was the seeing eye. Hence the term “seeing eye dog.”
- Dogs in the USA produce over 10 million tons of feces per year.
- Discovery’s “Myth Busters” proved Hollywood wrong. If you’re being tracked by a bloodhound, it will find you.
- Dogs can learn about 250 words. Short words representing objects (treat!) and behaviors (sit!) are easy.
- Girl scouts and boy scouts can earn a merit badge in dog care.
- At least 17 dog breeds have lines with naturally-occurring bobtails.
- August 26, 2015 is National Dog Day!
- About 1/3 of a dog’s brain mass is devoted to smell, compared with just 5% of a human’s brain!
- A puppy can learn simple commands like sit, down, and stay, as young as 7-8 weeks of age.
- Dogs have about 1700 taste buds, compared to about 9000 in humans.
- If a terrier randomly starts to dig, chances are, he’s heard prey moving underground.
- Approximately 25% of dog visits to the veterinarian are for problems with the skin and coat.
- Dogs often whine when frustrated. Think of whining as a “doggy complaint.”
- Not all dog breeds age at the same rate. Small dogs tend to age more slowly than larger dogs.
- According to Welsh legend, Corgis are enchanted and are a gift from the fairies. The fairies also used to ride Corgis or use them to pull their carriages.
- Dogs have not one, not two, but three sets of eyelids.
- If you own a Lab, you’re in good company. Labrador Retrievers are the most popular dogs in North America (and have been for more than 20 years!)
- Dalmatians are born entirely white, without spots. Most of their spots have appeared within a month.
- Some dog breeds are so smart, they can count to 4 or 5.
Want to read about Feline Fun Facts? see this article – 42 Feline Friday Fun Facts
Have some Feline Fun Facts you would like to share? Head on over to our Facebook page and leave us a comment!
Attribution: From our friends at Lifelearn.com